Greetings! The countdown has begun! I am very anxious to welcome our school family back for the 2014-15 school year.
- our kindergarten teachers volunteered their time to assess just over 100 kindergartners. Thank you to all of our parents who brought their child to school for this first time event and to our teachers for their planning and implementation of this assessment program. The assessment results will be used to place children into more balanced classes and help our teachers plan instruction for the first weeks of school. An added benefit was the opportunity for these soon-to-be-kindergartners to come to Woodland, meet the teachers and engage in learning activities. The full day kindergarten programming will focus on teaching the Minnesota Learning Standards infused with activities that also allow for the social and emotional development of this terrific group of young students.
- our fabulous office staff continued to prepare for the start of the school year. This means enrolling and withdrawing students, entering student names into the system for grading and reporting, inventorying new teaching materials and classroom equipment and distributing these materials to classrooms and offices throughout the building.
- our LMS (Library Media Specialist) has given up some of her summer vacation to reorganize our book collection, moving to a "book store" model that is based on topics and content.
- our new sixth grade team of teachers met with our instructional and staff development coaches, as well as two of last year's sixth grade teachers and others, to plan for this school year. They had a very productive day and everyone involved is very excited about our new sixth grade team!
- many teachers returned to school to begin preparing their classrooms for the new school year.
- A "final" iPad distribution and training session will be held for district teachers. At the end of this session, almost all teachers in the district will have received a new iPad to be used for instruction and student learning.
- all teachers new to our school district will spend three days in training regarding district programs and practices.
- All licensed staff return to work and will spend the week preparing their classrooms and attending grade level, building and district workshop/planning sessions.
- Woodland's Open House from 5:30-7:00!! Bring your child's school supplies and consider putting money in lunch accounts! :)
- FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! Our hallways and classrooms will be filled with our scholars - and the 2014-15 school year will officially begin. Yippee!
The clock is ticking and WE are all getting ready! I am confident that this new school year will be another GREAT one for our Woodland family as we work together to make sure that EVERY student SOARs (Succeeds, Outshines, Achieves, Reaches their highest potential) to college and career readiness.
Enjoy your weekend! I can't wait to see you at Open House!