Greetings! Our school year is off to an excellent start! As I walk our hallways and visit classrooms, I am very impressed with the sense of community in every classroom, the engagement and participation of the students and the high level of teaching and learning happening.
It is the time of year that we need to be especially mindful of the variety of illnesses and viruses to which we are all susceptible - especially our scholars. We have over 1100 children and adults at Woodland every day and it is so important that children are in school to maximize their learning. Thus, it is very important that we do everything we can to prevent the spread of illness.
Here are some tips for making sure we all stay healthy this school year. Please review the list and help your child understand the importance of following them.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds. While hand sanitizers work against some illnesses, they don't work against all. Soap and water are the best defense. (The respiratory virus, Enterovirus D68, that is affecting children throughout the midwest, is not impacted by hand sanitizers.)
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
- Cough or sneeze into our elbow, rather than our hand.
- Avoid kissing, hugging and sharing cups or eating utensils with people who are sick.
- Use standard disinfection procedures for surfaces, such as toys or doorknobs.
When children aren't feeling well (defined by a fever of 100 or more, vomiting within the last 24 hours, etc.), it is critical that they stay home from school. When they don't feel well it is hard to participate in class and learn, and we need to stop the spread of germs. (Please note that we want you to send children to school when they have minor symptoms of a cold, as long as they aren't experiencing wheezing, coughing, or a runny nose at a level that will impact their learning or that of others.)
In a village the size of Woodland, it is important that we do everything we can to promote healthy behaviors and prevent the spread of illnesses. We want our scholars to be able to attend school every day and participate fully as they SOAR to college and career readiness.
As a school family, WE can work together to keep our school family healthy this cold and flu season!
Enjoy this gorgeous day!